Where do I find a home builder or contractor? I was not able to answer this question for one of my clients when asked a little more than 3 years ago. Today is a different story and I am happy to announce that after many years of being frustrated, I figured out how to minimize my chances of making a costly mistake when hiring a Toronto home builder.
When you call someone who claims to be able to build you the home of your dreams, how do you know you can trust him? Well one way would be by asking to speak to a customer residing in your general location, who has had a custom built home done for them within at least 1 to 3 year ago. Other testimonials from previous customers living near you would be advisable too, but make sure you are able to contact them. It should not be too difficult since you live in the same general area. Take a short drive (recommended) or give them a quick phone call. รับสร้างบ้าน
My experience and travels in the real estate field have led me to a few incredible, skilled, talented and very very honest luxury home builders and contractors. The ones that have attracted me the most and those that I would highly recommend to my friends and clients are the builders and contractors that are hands on. I get a good feeling about the ones that come across to me as perfectionist’s as well as being very proud of their work and who consider all their projects their signature trademark, so to speak.
I found a big clue about these builders and contractors in one key area. Keeping their promises. If they keep the smallest of promises they made to you then chances are they will follow through with all the big ones too. Being on time is something incredibly important as well. In one instance I booked an appointment with a prospective builder and he was 45 minutes late. This appointment served as an interview to him by us to decide whether we would consider him for the job. The fact that he was 45 minutes late (I actually think he forgot about us at first), demonstrated to us that he did not take the interview serious enough. This attitude, in my opinion, would lead to a recipe for disaster.
Is there anything more frustrating than investing so much of your hard earned money, time and energy into having a beautiful custom built luxury home or a renovation project done for you just to experience everything going wrong? This was what I was facing with many customers as a real estate Broker. Everything from skylights leaking to kitchens falling apart. This does not have to happen anymore and for me, wow, what a pleasure and relief to finally be able to suggest and recommend to my friends and clients a way to find a quality home builder, or a contractor specializing in all kinds of additions and renovations, a man of his word, and a luxury home builder who stands behind his work!
Here are some tips to consider when selecting the right home builder or renovator for you:
1. Ask someone you know and trust for a referral. Word of mouth is very powerful.
2. Interview at least 3 past customers in Toronto and have a list of questions prepared for them including “how long have they been in business?”.
3. Price is important but focus more on quality of material and workmanship
4. Get their guarantee in writing
5. Ask for past clients and don’t just take their word for it, do the groundwork and call and/or visit them.
6. Call and check them out with the Toronto Better Business Bureau
7. Don’t rush into a contract. Give yourself some time to review all the information you gathered from them and then, use your instincts. The project will surely be a partnership between you and the builder so ask yourself this question, “is this the person/builder/contractor that I see myself having a good working relationship with during the time it takes to complete this project?”
These are just some tips that should assist you in making the right decision when deciding on a home builder, luxury or general, or a contractor who renovates. Happy building, happy renovating!